May 2013

Local 473 & David Architectural Metals: A Successful Partnership

For 84 years, David Architectural Metals has been serving the metal fabrication needs of Chicago’s construction community utilizing the skilled labor force of Shop Local 473 (Chicago). From historic Wrigley Field to the iconic Prudential Building and everything in between, David Architectural Metals with Local 473 ironworkers provides essential miscellaneous and architectural metal works for Chicago’s premier architectural structures.

Working in the most industrious city in the world, David Architectural Metals has earned the respect and admiration of premier construction companies, residential and commercial developers and property owners alike throughout Chicago and the Midwest. David Architectural Metals delivers dependable and cost effective solutions for every metal fabrication need.

A family-owned business from the beginning, David Architectural Metals’ history traces back to 1929, when David Fischer revived a metal fabricating business that originated with his father. Established under the name David Iron Works, the company specialized in residential steel work including railings and stairs. During 1933, at the onset of the World’s Fair in Chicago, David Iron Works was contracted to fabricate and install all of the ironwork for the fair including the famous “Avenue of Flags.” It took over 100 employees to complete this project.

During World War II, the company expanded its work beyond real estate, constructing ship parts and other metal structures for the U.S. Army and Navy. In 1945, the company continued to establish its reputation under its new name David Architectural Metals, Inc.

In the post-war environment, business was good, the economy was good and Chicago was booming. In 1955, David Architectural Metals began working on the tallest and first skyscraper constructed after the war—the Prudential Building. During the early 60s, David Architectural Metals began working on one of the most recognizable buildings in Chicago—Marina City, the largest and most innovative residential project of its time.

The strong economy didn’t last and tough times loomed amid the recession of the late 50s and early 60s. Determined to carry on its legacy, the company forged ahead, entering into automotive and large industrial projects with companies such as General Motors, Ford Motor Company, John Deere and Caterpillar Tractor.

Following another recession in the mid-70s, David Architectural Metals went back to its roots, focusing on the metal fabrication needs of large commercial structures including hospitals, hotels, office buildings, corporate headquarters and shopping centers.

Today the third, fourth and fifth generations led by the Schneider family actively participate in the management of David Architectural Metals. Led by Chairman Alan R. Schneider, President Richard L. Schneider, Vice President Jeffrey Schneider and Senior Estimator Ryan Schneider, David Architectural Metals still thrives, providing miscellaneous metal fabrication needs including light structural steel, ornamental and architectural metal work, canopy work and monumental stairs for large commercial, residential and industrial developments.

Through the hard work, vision and consistency of its leaders, David Architectural Metals continues to be a permanent fixture in Chicago’s real estate development.

In this fast moving business, quality, service and reliability are the key to any successful project. David Architectural Metals completes the majority of its work in its 48,000-square-foot fabricating plant on Chicago’s Southwest Side. Skilled union ironworkers from Local 473 construct intricate building components exactly to the plans and specification of architects and engineers, while project managers work hand to hand with the general contractors to ensure schedules are coordinated and project phases are completed effectively and efficiently.

With deadlines met and quality work delivered, customers know where to turn when a job needs to get done, a company with the highly trained and safe ironworkers of Shop Local 473.